Government announces the new national minimum wage
The Minister of Employment and Labour has announced in Government Gazette, 17 February 2020, No 43026, the new National Minimum wage effect from 1 March 2020.
GG Extract reads:
Schedule 1 National Minimum Wage (Section 6(6))
Substitute clause 1 under schedule 1 as reflected in Government Gazette No 42060 of 27 November 2018 with the following:
- Subject to item 2, the national minimum wage is R20.76 for each ordinary hour worked.
- Despite item 1-
- Farm workers are entitled to a minimum wage of R18.68 per hour;
- Domestic workers are entitled to a minimum wage of R15.57 per hour;
- Workers employed on an expanded public works programme are entitled to a minimum wage of R11.42 per hour; and
- Workers who have concluded learnership agreements contemplated in section 17 of the Skills Development Act, 1998 (Act no 97 of 1998), are entitled to the allowances contained in schedule 2.