Regional Land Reform Advisor
Based in Sezela, on the south coast of KwaZulu-Natal, the Land Reform Advisor provides the sugar cane growers of the Sezela and Umzimkulu areas with a broad service encompassing all aspects of land reform, which include land redistribution, restitution and new freehold growers. The Land Reform Advisor – South Coast reports to the Area Manager’s in both Sezela and Umzimkulu.
- Manage land reform projects in the areas in line with the regions program of work.
- Provide land reform growers with advice and assistance.
- Facilitate issues and resolve problems regarding land reform, traditional leaders and communities.
- Write reports as required, including business plans.
- Identify training and facilitate training within land reform projects.
- Report on all land reform projects in the area in department, grower and congress meetings.
- Be the restitution specialist for Canegrowers thereby ensuring that Management and other Regional staff are kept abreast of latest information.
- Set up and implement an induction program for all land reform beneficiaries.
- Attend all relevant meetings with growers as well as committee meetings and or sub committees providing relevant comment and input.
- Interact with financiers, grant funding bodies and government bodies on an ongoing basis where and when appropriate.
- Promote good governance especially with various Grower Constitutions and together with the GSO research issues that require change on an annual basis.
- Facilitate in consultation with the GSO’s, grower and contractor capacity building programs.
- Establish good working relationships with all relevant stakeholders involved with grower development in the industry.
- Evaluate staff performance in terms of strategic objectives and key deliverables.
- Coach, lead and develop staff.
- Ensure that all staff understand and are equipped to communicate on areas as required.
- Participate in staff planning which will entail participating in the recruitment and selection of direct reports.
- Applicants for this position are required to have a Bachelor degree in Law/ Commerce or Rural Development, with mathematics at Grade 12 level.
- Applicants must have experience working with land reform projects and have excellent knowledge of all applicable legislation.
- Fluency in English and isiZulu is essential as well as excellent report writing skills.
- The post has a staff management component so good leadership skills are required and experience in social facilitation would be essential.
- Applicants must be possess computer skills in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel.